Midwest Missions Fund Policies
Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese
of North America
Diocese of Toledo and the Midwest
2656 Pemberton Dr.
Toledo, OH 43606-2903
(Tel) (419)535-1390 (Fax) (419) 535-7999
POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
THE DIOCESE OF TOLEDO AND THE MIDWEST
1. The Diocese of Toledo and the Midwest Mission Council shall consist of the Diocesan Bishop, representatives of the Diocese of Toledo and the Midwest Fellowship of St. John the Divine, Order of St. Ignatius of Antioch, Antiochian Women and Teen SOYO, as well as clergy and laity appointed by the Diocesan Bishop, the Diocesan Missions Coordinator (appointed by the Diocesan Bishop) and the pastor, parish mission coordinator and chapter president of the Fellowship of St. John the Divine of each parish and mission.
2. There shall be an Executive Committee of the Missions Council that shall consist of the Diocesan Bishop, the officers of the Mission Council, and the Diocesan Missions Coordinator.
3. The Mission Council shall have as officers the Chair, Vice-Chair, Treasurer Secretary and Corresponding Secretary who shall be appointed by the Diocesan Bishop.
4. The Mission Council shall meet at least once every year during the annual Midwest Parish Life Conference and at such other times at the Midwest Chancery as called by the Diocesan Bishop or the Chair.
5. The Mission Council shall establish and approve an annual operating budget at the meeting held during the Parish Life Conference. The budget shall include the approval of new grant requests that are made by the Executive Committee of the Mission Council. Grants approved by the Executive Committee of the Mission Council shall be sent to the authorized missions monthly for twelve months effective July 1st following the Parish Life Conference.
6. The Mission Council budget shall be funded from the following sources: annual parish contributions; organization contributions; individual contributions; and 80% of the income from the Diocese of Toledo and the Midwest Mission Endowment Fund. Contributions may be made by a donor directly to the Diocese of Toledo and the Midwest Mission Endowment Fund, the annual budget or to a designated mission. The donation shall be used as designated by the donor. Unless otherwise designated individual donations shall be to the Endowment Fund.
7. The Mission Council shall have the responsibility and authority to raise and to solicit designated funds from the parishes of the Diocese of Toledo and the Midwest. Such funds will be used only for mission work within the Toledo and the Midwest Diocese. These solicited funds and contributions and the available income from the Endowment Fund shall be placed in a bank account requiring the signature on checks of the Diocesan Bishop and either the Chair, the Treasurer of the Mission Council, or the Mission Coordinator. All funds shall be funds of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese and in the event of the dissolution of the Mission Council shall revert to the Archdiocese.
8. Spending or disbursement authority of these Mission Funds shall be in accordance with these policies and procedures and shall rest in the Executive Committee of the Mission Council.
9. The Mission Council shall establish an endowment fund entitled “The Diocese of Toledo and the Midwest Mission Endowment Fund” for the primary purpose of providing additional funding to missions of the Toledo and the Midwest Diocese. The Council may, in its sole discretion, with the approval of the Diocesan Bishop, grant assistance to small parishes. It shall be administered by the Treasurer of the Mission Council or as the Archdiocese shall otherwise direct. On an annual basis 80% of the Endowment Fund income shall be available to the Mission Council for use in the Council’s budget. The remaining 20% of the income must be reinvested in the Endowment Fund.
10. The Diocese of Toledo and the Midwest Mission Endowment Fund shall be funded by contributions from parishes, organizations of the Toledo and Midwest Diocese, and interested individuals unless otherwise so designated by the donor. (See paragraph 6 above.) The Fund shall grow by income reinvestment and by annual fundraising campaigns conducted by the Mission Council, the Fellowship of St. John the Divine and other organizations in the Diocese of Toledo and the Midwest.
11. Requests for financial grants from the Diocese of Toledo and the Midwest Mission Endowment Fund must be submitted in writing signed by the priest in charge of the mission and the chair of his mission council. The Diocesan Bishop, Diocesan Mission Coordinator, or Chair of the Mission Council must receive the request no later than June 1st. Requests to be submitted to the Mission Council must first be approved by the Diocesan Bishop, the Bishop who chairs the Archdiocese Department of Parish Development and the Diocesan Missions Coordinator. The formal presentation of grant requests shall be made to the Executive Committee by the Diocesan Mission Coordinator.
12. When a mission first requests, and is approved for funding, it is eligible to receive a five year grant, beginning with up to $500.00 per month for the first year. The maximum grant is up to $18,000 over the five-year period. The rate will decrease by 20% each year from the original grant over the five-year period. Each year the Executive Committee shall determine the amount of funding and whether funding shall be continued.
13. The Treasurer of the Mission Council shall send approved funds to the mission monthly. Funds granted by the Mission Council may only be used in accordance with the grant request. Requests must be submitted on an approved form and monthly reports to the Diocesan Bishop and the Mission Coordinator, on behalf of the Council, will be required to maintain the grant.
14. Any income, in excess of expenditures approved by the Executive Committee, shall constitute surplus income. Any surplus income not expended during the year shall be included in the following year’s budget as income available for grants. Such income shall be available on an emergent basis for missions and small parishes that are approved by the Diocesan Bishop and shall constitute the Emergency Fund. If a mission needs to make a request for funds after the June meeting and before the next regular meeting of the Mission Council, an emergency request may be made to the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee may grant such requests to the extent surplus monies are available in the Emergency Fund and such requests have received the necessary approvals. To receive any further grants, the mission must submit a formal request as set forth above. The Executive Committee, in its sole discretion, may or may not consider the emergency request as part of the five-year grant, in approving any further grants. No funds may be distributed without the prior approval of the Diocesan Bishop.