2007 Winter Meeting Minutes
St. John of Damascus Church, Dedham
Saturday, January 20, 2007
OPENING PRAYER -
The meeting was opened at 10:46 with the Antiochian Women’s Prayer and the singing of the Troparian of the Dormition. There were 32 members present.
Executive Board Present:
Advisor-V. Rev. Edward Hughes, President-Priscilla Goss, Vice President-Marilyn Kurban, Secretary-Pam Samara, Coordinators: Membership-Marilyn Robbat, Humanitarian-Gladys Laham, Religious-Kh. Louise Ferguson
Executive Board Absent:
Treasurer-Carol Swydan, Past President-MaryEllen Mabardy, Website Coordinator-Melissa Nassiff,
Cultural Coordinator-Nora Walker
St. Mary Cambridge – 2 St. George Norwood – 2 St. Michael Cotuit– 2
St. John Dedham – 4 St. George W Roxbury – 3 All Saints Mission S Weymouth – 0
St. George Lawrence – 1 St. George Worcester - 2 St. Elias Mission Fall River - 0
St. George Lowell – 3 St. Mary Pawtucket – 0
SECRETARY’S REPORT- Pam Samara
Minutes of the meeting at St. George Lawrence on September 30 were read. Motion to accept was made by Marilyn Kurban and seconded by Laurice Kurker.
TREASURER’S REPORT – Carol Swydan
After a short discussion, a motion to accept the report was made by Gladys Laham and seconded by Laurence Skaff.
SPIRITUAL ADVISOR’S REPORT– Fr Edward Hughes
Fr Ed spoke about the Church Calendar and Church Feasts and the effect that Feasts have on our lives. Secular society changes how people keep religion in their daily schedules. Church ‘seasons’ must be noted at home, so that they will be able to affect our lives.
COORDINATORS AND COMMITTEE REPORTS:
VICE PRESIDENT - PROJECT – Marilyn Kurban
Retired Clergy Fund: Marilyn reminded us to take a special basket collection during March ‘Antiochian Women’s Month’. All funds must be sent to the Treasurer by May 1st, and a letter sent to Marilyn stating what the main project was, and how much was collected from that and from the basket. During the month of March, our women should be participating in the Liturgy by reading the Epistle, collecting, ushering and giving sermons.
Her report was accepted by Laurice Kurker and seconded by Lillian Khouri.
RELIGIOUS COORDINATOR – Kh. Louise Ferguson
Our Retreat will be held on February 10, at St. George Church, Norwood. The day will begin with Liturgy at 9AM. Flyers have been distributed. Registration is $15, and will include lunch. Fr Eugene Pentiuc, a Professor of Old Testament at Hellenic College, will speak on “Human Destiny According to the Holy Scripture”.
HUMANITARIAN COORDINATOR – Gladys Laham
Some Beanie Babies were already taken to Children’s Hospital. Priscilla and Jim will be delivering the remaining donated items, along with a $100 check from St. George Lowell Women. Thanks to all who donated items for this collection.
MEMBERSHIP– Marilyn Robbat
Continuing with her effort to raise awareness of women's health issues, Marilyn gave us a sheet on Arthritis, and Tips on Living with Arthritis. She is also going to look into a Spring Trip.
CULTURAL COORDINATOR– Nora Walker
Continuing her series on religions, Nora reported on Judaism and the Old Testament in an attempt to show how religions in the Middle East influence the culture of the people who come from that region. By exploring the basis of the Jewish religion, we realize that the Jewish people and the Arabs of the Middle East have lived side by side over the many centuries, and that the Jewish culture and the Arab culture have many similarities and origins.
WEBSITE – Melissa Nassiff http://www.antiochian.org/neraocwna
Improvements and updates to our website were described in Melissa’s report. She invites comments and suggestions to make the site more inviting, informative and useful.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT – Priscilla Goss
· Mid-Winter Meeting at Antiochian Village is Febuary 2-4. Anyone interested in attending, please see Priscilla
· Thank you note was received from the family of Louise Joseph Jabily.
· Parish Life Conference will be June 28 - July 1 at the Plymouth Radisson. Rooms will be $119. The Luncheon will be on Thursday at noon, followed by our meeting from 2:30 – 4:30. More details at the April meeting.
· Officers for 2007-2009 will be elected in June. Nomination forms are available from Priscilla.
NEW BUSINESS –
· Sunday of Orthodoxy Liturgy in Worcester will be led by Bishop JOSEPH
· Extra copies of “Sacred Meals” by Fr. John Finley are available.
· Fr. Michael Abdelahad and Michael Marge spoke to us about the Parish Life Conference. Fr. Michael Kaiser will be the keynote speaker. He is a former NAB Antiochian Women Spiritual Advisor. Several new ideas and programs are being incorporated into this year’s PLC, with all the Diocese churches on the planning committees, and the proceeds benefiting the Missions and Outreach of the Diocese of Worcester and New England.
A MOTION TO ADJOURN was made at 12:05.
Fr. Ed led us in a prayer, and then we all enjoyed a delicious Fellowship Luncheon.
Respectfully Submitted, NEXT MEETING April 28 St Mary Church, Pawtucket, RI
Pam Samara, Secretary