Creative Festivals FAQs
1) Will the adjudicating remain by grade?
Adjudicating will remain by grade. (The only exception may be if we begin a media or film category. If we do that, group projects may be allowed as several teens from different grades might be working together.)
2) If there are 3 or fewer entries by grade, then will there be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place as we used to have?
If there are three or fewer entries by grade, there may not necessarily be a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. Students would still need to have scored in the “Gold” or “Silver” category according to the judging rubric, which is 75% and above.
3) Wouldn’t it be a good idea for the Festival Coordinators to be members of the host parish?
Some dioceses like this idea, others say it is better to keep the coordinators the same each year as they “know the ropes” and the festivals run more smoothly.
4) Who chooses the theme?
Metropolitan Joseph. We offer suggestions.
5) How should the ribbons be handled?
Filling out the back is optional.
- We will send CFC an ample supply of ribbons.
- As soon as judging takes place, the coordinators will tell CFC how many gold, silver, and bronze ribbons were earned. The CFC will send that amount to each coordinator.
- The coordinators will make a brown envelope for each parish, marked as RIBBONS.
- The coordinators will include a copy of the Record of Participants form and place it in a brown envelope. The coordinators will count out the correct amount of gold, silver and bronze ribbons for each parish and place it in the parish brown envelope.
- The coordinators will bring their box of parish envelopes to the PLC.
- The CFC will have a larger brown envelope for each parish. CFC will place the coordinator's envelopes in the larger parish envelopes. Presumably the parish large envelope will be placed in the box they will use to box up the artwork to bring back to the parish.
Alternately, after step 3, the coordinators can send the envelopes to each parish.
As to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd place awards, you should be able to continue as you have done previously.
6) What if our diocese has had a different deadline?
You may keep the deadline that you are accustomed to using. We will simply change it on the submission and contact information for your diocese.
7) Is there a minimum word count for the creative writing?
There is no minimum word count for grade 3 and up in creative writing.
8) Are there certificates available for download?
There are no certificates except those downloaded for the Preschool and Kindergarten. Eventually, these certificates and other forms will be fillable PDFs that can be filled out online and printed for use.
9) Will every child receive a ribbon?
Every child receives an achievement ribbon of bronze, silver, or gold, based on the point totals from the rubric. The Department of Christian Education will order, pay for, and send the ribbons to the coordinators.
10) What about the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place that’s been used in the past?
From the gold or silver category in each festival a top 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner should be chosen. These award winners can receive an additional gift, such as an icon or olive wood crosses from the Holy Land. You may also choose to have a special ribbon for these three places. This is up to your individual dioceses.
11) Should the students receive their rubrics?
The rubric sheets are not meant to be returned to the students. If someone asked for theirs, that would be okay, but it is not the intent for the rubrics to be given to the entrants.
12) Do we still need 3 judges?
Yes, all categories should have a priest and 2 other judges.