Interpretations of the Theme
Possible interpretations of the theme may include but are not limited to some of the following ideas:
1. Ways that we demonstrate our love for God, such as coming to church, making the sign of the cross, kissing an icon, praying, etc.
2. Ways that we show our love for others, such as helping people, donating food or clothing to those less fortunate, sharing what we have, etc.
3. The story of the Good Samaritan.
4. The Golden Rule (Treat others the way you would like to be treated).
5. The Ten Commandments. All the commandments can be narrowed down to just two - loving God and loving our neighbor.
A. The first 4 commandments pertain to love of God.
B. The last 6 commandments pertain to love of our neighbor.
6. All people in the world are made in the image and likeness of God. Whatever we do or say to each other, it’s as if we’re doing or saying it to Jesus.
7. The word “all” is used four times in this verse. We must love God with every ounce of our being- give Him 100%. Our relationship with God must be one of total commitment.