The Archdiocese Synod of Bishops Meets
The Synod of Bishops of the Self-Ruled Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America met at Antiochian Village on May 30, 2008.
The hierarchs discussed many items that are of paramount importance to this God-protected Archdiocese.
Present at the meeting were the following:
- His Eminence Metropolitan PHILIP – Archbishop of New York and Washington, D.C. and Metropolitan of All North America
- His Grace Bishop ANTOUN – Bishop of the Diocese of Miami and The Southeast
- His Grace Bishop JOSEPH – Bishop of the Diocese of Los Angeles and The West & Locum Tenens of the Diocese of Eagle River and The Northwest
- His Grace Bishop BASIL – Bishop of the Diocese of Wichita and Mid-America
- His Grace Bishop THOMAS – Bishop of the Diocese of Charleston, Oakland and the Mid-Atlantic
- His Grace Bishop MARK – Bishop of the Diocese of Toledo and The Midwest
- His Grace Bishop ALEXANDER – Bishop of the Diocese of Ottawa, Upstate New York and Eastern Canada
- Fr. George Kevorkian – Secretary to The Synod
Among the items on the agenda of the meeting were the following:
- An update on the new initiatives toward Orthodox Unity in North America
- A status report from each hierarch on the highlights of activities in his diocese
- The status of our seminarians, and the pastoral assignments that are still to be made
- Important policies and procedures that insure smooth and efficient communications.
Two important specific issues that were addressed were:
- A reminder that, as per a decision of the Holy Synod of Antioch, the Paschal Funeral Service is to be used for the entire 40 day period from Pascha to Ascension.
- A reminder that Orthodox weddings must be held in an Orthodox Church building. Any exception to this requires the approval of The Metropolitan.