St. Euphrosyne, in the world Eudokia, Grand Duchess of Moscow
St. Euphrosyne (in the world Eudokia) was the daughter of Suzdal Prince Demetrius Constantovich, and from 1367 was the wife of Great Prince Demetrius of the Don. Their happy union was one of unity and peace between Moscow and Suzdal.
St. Alexis, Metropolitan of Moscow, and St. Sergius of Radonezh, who baptized one of the sons of Demetrius and Eudokia, had a great influence upon the spiritual life of Princess Eudokia. St. Demetrius of Priluki was the godfather of another son.
The holy princess was a builder of churches. In 1387 she founded the Ascension women’s monastery in the Moscow Kremlin. In 1395, during Tamerlane’s invasion into the southernmost regions of Russia, the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God was transferred to Moscow upon her advice, miraculously defending the Russian land. During Great Lent, the princess secretly wore chains beneath her splendid royal garb. By her patronage the famous icon of the Archangel Michael was written, which later became the patronal icon of the Kremlin’s Archangel Cathedral.
After raising five sons (a sixth died in infancy), the princess was tonsured as a nun with the name Euphrosyne. She completed her earthly journey on July 7, 1407 and was buried in the Ascension Monastery that she had founded.
St. Euphrosyne is also commemorated on May 17.
By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (www.oca.org)