Icon of the Mother of God of Igritsa
Commemorated on July 28
In 1624, the Holy Igritsa Icon of the Mother of God appeared in Igritsa at the River Pesochna not far from the city of Kostroma. Local peasants found the icon in an old half-ruined church. The church had been neglected for over fifty years after a deadly plague. The icon stood on the altar and shone with bright hues, as though newly painted.
After the first service of thanksgiving was served in front of this holy icon, a nobleman’s blind son gained his sight.
Four devout Christians stayed to live around the desolate church and took monastic vows. At the place of the appearance of the icon of the Mother of God, a new church and a monastic community emerged.
By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (www.oca.org)