Icon of the Mother of God of Kostroma


Commemorated on July 28

The Kostroma Hodigitria Icon of the Mother of God was written in 1672 on the wall of the southwest tower of the Kostroma Theophany Monastery.

In 1779 a great fire occurred at the monastery, and flames enveloped the tower. However, the holy Icon of the Mother of God remained unharmed.

In 1824 a church was built at the tower where the icon resided.

By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (www.oca.org)