Commemorated on July 28
The Holy Hodigitria Icon of the Mother of God, named the Shui, appeared in the city of Shui in Vladimir at the very height of a raging deadly epidemic in 1654-1655. The inhabitants of the city gathered in prayer in the churches, beseeching the mercy of the Lord. A pious parishioner in the Church of the Resurrection discussed the possibility of commissioning a copy of the Smolensk Icon of the Mother of God to place it in the church.
The icon was written in seven days, during which time the inhabitants of Shui fasted and prayed fervently to the Mother of God. Having partaken of the Holy Mysteries, the citizens, along with a priest, carried the newly written icon into the church. From that time onwards, the deadly plague ended.
In 1831, through the intercession of the Mother of God, a cholera epidemic at Shui ceased. From this holy icon a young boy received healing from demonic possession, as did many of the sick.
By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (www.oca.org )