The "Seven Arrows" Icon of the Mother of God depicts the Virgin's heart pierced by seven arrows.
For a long time the icon was located at the belltower stairway entrance of a church near Vologda, Russia, in honor of the Apostle John the Theologian. Since it was face downwards, the icon was mistaken for an ordinary board and walked on.
A cripple in the city of Kadnikova then had a vision that he would receive healing after praying before this icon. A Molieben was served before the newly-discovered icon, after which the sick man became well.
The icon was glorified in 1830 during a cholera epidemic at Vologda.
By permission of the Orthodox Church in America (www.oca.org )