St. George Orthodox Church  of Indianapolis was established and a church building erected and consecrated in 1926.
As a charter member, St. George Progressives contributed greatly to the SOYO movement. St. George parishioners Nick Coba and John Daniluck, who had been founders of the Federation of Russian Orthodox Clubs (FROC), were instrumental in guiding the SOYO movement of their adopted parish and Archdiocese. In the fall of 1947, the newly organized group met in Indianapolis to complete a draft of the constitution and by-laws.
The Indianapolis parish hosted a historic Archdiocese Convention in August, 1951, where a young man named Michael Shaheen was ordained to the priesthood by both Archbishops Antony (Bashir) and Samuel (David) and assigned to the Indianapolis church. He subsequently became an Archbishop.
As the parish continued to grow, a larger church and facilities were built and consecrated in 1962, where we presently worship.
While the early years of St. George’s history saw buildings going up, efforts gradually shifted toward greater ministry, service and the spiritual life. Church membership grew in a number of ways. The third and fourth generations since the founders had increased, resulting in the large number of young people active in our church. Secondly, there was a new influx of immigrants, primarily from Palestine, Jordan, Eritrea and Ethiopia. Also, many new members came into the fold from other Orthodox ethnic backgrounds, especially Russians. In addition, a number of converts from other Christian bodies accepted Orthodoxy. The diversity of the new membership has given the church a new complexion and drive. St. George also planted missions in Fort Wayne and Bloomington, Indiana, that are now thriving parishes, and we are supporting new daughter missions in Greenwood and Evansville, Indiana, at the present time.
As St. George parish looks forward to a bright future, we purchased land in the Indianapolis suburb of Fishers and are preparing to build new facilities for the challenge of ministering effectively to a growing number of parishioners in an ever-expanding metropolitan area. This architect's drawing shows our planned new church on East 116th Street.