St. George  is a parish of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America. The mission of St. George Church is to serve God and the Greater Detroit Area by commitment to the Gospel Command and to grow in the knowledge of Jesus Christ through faith, hope, and love. St. George Church follows the faith and practice of the Apostles and Disciples of Christ handed down by the ancient Christian fathers and twenty centuries of Church tradition. Genuine Christian life nurtures and stimulates our spiritual and moral development.
A Brief History
In 1915 the cornerstone was laid for the new St. George Church in Detroit.
On January 30, 1916 the congregation officially organized the St. George Syrian Orthodox Society of Detroit.
From 1932 until 1985, many instrumental people serviced St. George in various capacities and many of these became later the leaders of this God protected Archdiocese, like Archbishop Antony Bashir, Metropolitan Philip Saliba and Bishop Basil Essey and Bishop Athanasius Saliba. In addition, St. George produced many clergy who serve now in different parishes in our Archdiocese.
In 1985, a new era of development and growth started with the pastorate of Father Joseph Antypas, who was appointed pastor of St. George Church by Metropolitan PHILIP. With his leadership, the recreation of the new St. George Church took place by first building a new Church in Troy, Michigan in 1994 and second by uniting the faithful under one leadership and one goal, worshiping in unity.
In 2005 another significant milestone of our church was accomplished by consecrating the new addition of the church by building the youth education and activities center.
Recently, perhaps one among the most important accomplishments of the church and her leadership is leading the faithful to survive the economical downturn that our country suffered from, and especially the Midwest. It was the wisdom of the leadership and the support of the faithful that made it possible for the church to prosper and continue her ministries.