History of the Antiochian House of Studies
Who We Are
On 29 December 1980, His Eminence, Metropolitan Philip of Blessed Memory, former Primate of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America (Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch and All the East), gave his blessing for the establishment of a theological education program. The program was placed under the patronage of Protomartyr and Archdeacon Stephen.
From humble beginnings and a handful of students in 1980, the Antiochian House of Studies has grown to a world-class, international institution of higher learning for theological education.
Today, the Antiochian House of Studies is an umbrella for four distinct theological programs and is one of the largest Orthodox schools of theology in the world.
Concurrent enrollment in the House of Studies programs is more than 300 students. In the years since its inception, over 3000 students have enrolled, with nearly 1700 completing the challenging course of study.
A multicultural, international institution, the Antiochian House of Studies attracts students from all over the world and from every jurisdiction. In addition to students from the United States, students hail from countries around the globe: Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Japan, Ireland, England, South Africa, and even the tiny island-nation of Mauritius.
We also are pleased to share our educational riches and faith with students from the Roman Catholic Church and numerous Protestant denominations including Lutheran, Church of England, Episcopal, Evangelical, Methodist, Baptist, and many more.
Where We Are
Although a “school without walls,” the House of Studies' yearly residencies and bi-annual symposia are hosted by Antiochian Village near Ligonier, Pennsylvania. This beautiful campus site includes comfortable accommodations, a library, an Antiochian Heritage Museum, a bookstore. The facility hosts the St. Stephen Residency program, all Doctor of Ministry and Pastoral Care classes, and the Clergy Symposium. When at the Village, don’t forget to visit the relics of St. Raphael of Brooklyn!