Antiochian Orthodox Christian Women of North America
The Antiochian Orthodox Christian Women of North America was founded in 1973 through the vision of His Eminence Metropolitan Philip Saliba as an organization of the Antiochian Archdiocese. Its purpose is to develop a spirit of Christian leadership, awareness, and commitment; to foster a genuine expression of love and service through works of charity; and to instill a sense of fellowship and a deeper understanding of the heritage and traditions of the Orthodox Church.
The Antiochian Women are organized according to region, but come together for communication and collaboration through the North American Board (NAB), which consists of officers and delegates from each region. On this web page we post information on our programs, and spiritual resources such as the lives of women saints. Back issues of DIAKONIA and SOPHIA newsletters can also be found here in PDF format.
His Grace Bishop Joseph once said: “When everyone left our Lord Jesus Christ alone on the cross, the women were there. Can you see how important the women are? You are the myrrh-bearing women.”
This summer at the Summer Meetings at the Antiochian Village in Ligonier, Pennsylvania, His Eminence Metropolitan Joseph announced the new Antiochian Women Project for 2014-2015 which will incorporate his vision for the Antiochian Archdiocese well into the future. Over the next year, the Antiochian Women will work towards "Nurturing the Seeds of Orthodoxy Across North America".
The Project is two-fold:
- "Regional Camping and Learning Centers" – His Eminence's vision is to offer Orthodox programs throughout all of North America and the ultimate establishment of facilities to house these events.
- "Monastic Communities" – The vision is to make Antiochian Orthodox monastic communities prevalent across our continent.
Throughout our work on this Project, let us recall the parable of the mustard seed where Jesus said, "To what shall we liken the kingdom of God? ... It is like a mustard seed which, ... when it is sown, it grows up and becomes greater than all herbs, and shoots out large branches, so that the birds of the air may nest under its shade." (Mark 4:30-32.)
The Fall 2014 issue of DIAKONIA is now available online. This issue highlights The Diocese of Ottawa, Eastern Canada and Upstate New York, with special dedication to our new Metropolitan Joseph! The issue contains:
- Metropolitan Joseph's Vision for the Archdiocese
- Message from Diocesan Spiritual Advisor V. Rev. Iskander Younes
- A message from Diocesan President Susanne Zeidan
- Highlights from the 2014 Mid-Summer Meetings at Antiochian Village
- Introductions to the Diocese of Ottawa's Board
- Happenings around the Diocese of Ottawa
- Antiochian Women Visit the Grave of Metropolitan Philip
- Miracles Are Still Happening by Lianne Nimey
...and more! Download (PDF) here.
At the July 2014 Archdiocesan organizational meetings at the Antiochian Village Heritage and Learning Center, the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Women of North America (AOCWNA), represented by North American Board President Violet Robbat, and Vice President/Project Coordinator Dianne O'Regan, announced the total contributions received to date for the 2013-2014 Project: "Help the Orphans of War in Syria." On behalf of the Antiochian Women across North America, these women were honored to present a check to His Eminence Metropolitan Joseph for $283,055.55, the largest amount ever raised in a single year during the forty year history of the Antiochian Women!